Monday, February 8, 2010

How Do I Love Thee? Let Me Count The Ways.

AH... Valentine's Day! A day that you either want to give everyone some smooches or throw them off a 10 story building. Whether you love or hate the day-I found a few movies that will put you in the mood and a smile on your face.
Now let's get one thing straight. I am NOT a fan of the romance movie. Especially the romantic comedy. They pain me to no end and every time a new one comes out, my soul dies a little. That being said. There is one that touched my heart and made me want to find my own Lloyd Dobler. Say Anything is a romance comedy that will have you begging for more. John Cusack plays a quirky high school graduate who falls for the smart chick. The soundtrack is AMAZING. What girl did not want to have their favorite guy stand outside their window playing Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes. Melt-absolutely melt!


Another one of my all time favorites, that is now considered a classic piece of comedy, is Bull Durham. I'm not just saying this because it was filmed in my hometown, or because the story has a strong, smart & sexy leading lady in Susan Saradon, but due to the comedic young Tim Robbins and his singing about women getting wooly. If that doesn't make you laugh then you may want to check your pulse. This movie will make you have a new appreciation for baseball as well as the romantic comedy.


The last movie on my list is not a comedy but is definitely romantic. Breakfast at Tiffany's is an absolutely beautiful film. The sets, the costumes, the music- it all swirls around the magnificent Aundrey Hepburn playing the delightful Holly Golightly. The story involves two lost souls who find each other in the midst of finding themselves. And the young George Peppard is really easy on the eyes also.

Now, aren't you feeling all warm and fuzzy inside? Don't you feel loved? Do you have a cavity yet from all the sweetness? If the answers to all three questions are yes-then my job is done here.

6 comments:

Becky said...

Thanks, now I'm having a diabetic seizure!!!

I'm not a big fan of the "modern" romantic comedies myself. But i can watch the old Cary Grant or Myrna Loy flicks over and over and over.

Did i know you are from D'erm? We live between Chapel Hill and Pittsboro. Are you still in the area? Coffee?

giddy girlie said...

Say Anything is my all-time fave and I HATE romantic comedies. In fact, I knew my husband was the man I was going to marry when he was watching over me at a party and I thought "Lloyd Dobler." :)

I have the poster of Lloyd holding the boombox in my office. *swoon*

* said...

such fantastic movies.

i had such a crush on ione skye...she was so pretty! and still is.

Unknown said...

Becky-I grew up in Chapel Hill then moved to Charlotte and now live in Oregon. If I still lived in the area I would be all over the coffee! I miss Chapel Hill.

Becky said...

Well, I betcha we know people in common. We've been here 20 years and my grown-up kids feel like natives. ;-)

E-mail me sometime and we can compare "notes." beckysews[at] hotmail[dot]com

Unknown said...

I emailed ya!