Monday, July 16, 2012

New Media Monday


One of my goals this year is to read a book every month. It has been a blast collecting titles to read!

I have come to the conclusion that there is a lot of great Young Adult books out there. I am reading some of my old favorites, like James and The Giant Peach, and discovering a whole new world. I am also discovering a lot of new Young Adult favorites that keep me on the edge of my seat.

Currently, I am reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone by a local author, Laini Taylor. The book tells of a teenage girl who does "errands" for the devil in exchange for favors. Now, this may sound really dark but so far it is fairly light reading and the author does a great job of keeping it on an even PG-13 level. I will admit that some of the story seems a little forced, like they are trying to remind you that art kids are cool and hip and moody but the otherworld characters are rich, carnival like and make up for the forced arty teenagers.

I also checked out Night Circus. I have heard that this book is wonderful! The story is about two dueling magicians in a circus. It does have a feel of Something Wicked This Way Comes, but with romance. Just browsing through the pages, the images are so vivid that you feel you are in the circus next to the array of over the top characters.

My favorite book so far has to be Miss. Peregrin's Home for Peculiar Children. I really love this book! There are so many creepy pictures scattered throughout the story. I love the way the author incorporates the found images into the story. They better have a part two or I will scream and kick. This book has just the right amount of fantasy without being completely out there. You kind of want to find their home and live there.

These are just a few books that I am loving right now. I have also become obsessed with my friend's blog. She is an excellent source for YA books. She gives honest reviews and sometimes a giveaway or two. Check out Absolute Forest of Words before you hit the library.

What are you reading right now? What suggestions do you have for me? 

3 comments:

AlwaysInspired said...

I just bought my sister "Heck: where the bad kids go" and had to read it first. It is a very easy read, but really funny! Some of the references will be over my sisters head, but I got a chuckle. There are 5 books total out in the series and I'm going to buy her the others just so I can read them! Lol

TroubleT said...

All of the books that I've read this summer have been YA. I've read the first 2 books of the Matched series, the first 2 of Divergent and the first 2 of Infernal Devices. I'm waiting on the last of the series for Divergent and Matched but the last book of Infernal Devices (Clockwork Princess) is my next on the To Read list. All of these series have been fantastic.

I'm going to have to try Ms. Peregrine's a try. :)

Kelldandy said...

I set a goal for myself of reading 12 books this year as well (as I do every year). I'm a slow reader so I can't usually read a book in a week, the fastest is 2 weeks; I have other things to do besides read! I actually had to set my goal higher because I finally started reading manga and goodreads counts those! I LOVE reading YA books, they are not only faster reads, but much more imaginative. If there is romance in them it is of the old Hollywood cinema type!