Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Little Twist

Tuesdays are normally Tie One On Tuesday but today I felt the need to update you on a few things going on. Don't worry, Tie One On Tuesday will be back next week, cause you know mama needs a cocktail. 

I am not one for mixing words, cocktails maybe, but never words so I'm just gonna lay it out there. OMP has to have heart surgery. I know, it hit us like a ton of bricks too. He has severe mitral valve regurgitation and the valve needs to be repaired. To repair the valve, they can do it two different ways-complete open heart surgery (removing the sternum, taking out the heart, repair and stick the ticker back in) or they can do it less invasive, separating the ribs and going in. There is more pain with the less invasive but the recovery time is less.

Over the summer, we have been to numerous doctors, had numerous tests and finally came to this point in time. The surgeon has said that there is an 85% chance that he can do the surgery less invasive but we needed to give him permission to do the full monty just in case he gets in there and sees the less invasive is a no go. In other percentages, there is a 1% chance of death, 2% chance of infection and 5% chance of pneumonia. 

The surgery hasn't been scheduled yet-we still have three more tests to go through and luckily, OMP's heart isn't so bad that we have to have emergency surgery. We are doing this to prevent future surgeries, heart attacks and strokes. 

The next couple of months will be a bit of a battle with figuring out work, finances and just lifestyle changes. It's a good thing that I put on my war face. GRRRRRRRR! We don't have a lot but we have love and strength and hope. We both refuse to ever give up and we have amazing doctors and nurses to support and help us with the process. 

I never planned in my early 40's to go through something like this. I damn sure know OMP didn't, but isn't that what life is all about? Unexpected adventures? It might not be the adventure I want for my husband but I will be holding his hand the entire way. I will refuse to give up, even on days when he wants to. 

So, there ya go-my heart on my sleeve so to speak. I will keep everyone updated as well as supplying you with puppy pictures, yummy cocktails and a few crafts or two...cause that's how we roll! 

12 comments:

sharnymcclarny said...

Wishing you both the best outcome. Always enjoy your sunny attitude through the blogs and hope that never changes.

Kristin said...

You and OMP are tackling this head on, full bore ahead. You've got so many people in your corner, lifting you both up and hoping for the best. Here's to less-invasive surgery and wonderful outcomes. Cheers!

Digital Misfit said...

Sending you and OMP all my love as always. I have your back and am here for you for anything at all at any time. OMP is lucky to have such a strong, sassy, and loving lady at his side to make this setback a lot less sucky.

Unknown said...

I'll be sending you both tons and tons of healing thoughts and prayers.
Thank you for being so open and know we're all standing with you two before, during and after.
**hugs**

Mary Sue said...

Sending good thoughts your way!

giddy99 said...

Love, strength, and God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Wishing you both all that is good in this world. I've loved reading your blog amd look forward to more of your funny (and touching) posts. You have such a wonderful attitude.

Poppy (xperimentl) said...

Keeping you in my thoughts and sending positive energy to you and OMP.

sewitsforyou said...

Love you mama..will be in touch

Joel Garry said...

Came upon this by accident (I had sent a lmgtfy.com link to a friend named squirrel, referencing FPKK). Modern medical science is amazing, my best friend stroked out and could no longer talk, then had to have his chest cracked when he had a heart attack and couldn't communicate the problem. Then they found he'd had a genetic problem all along (after it was found in his 20 year old niece) and he got a pacemaker. He's almost ok now, even starting to talk some again, went surfing for the first time in years a couple weeks ago. So even if the worst happens, you still might come back.

I found this entertaining, in a darkly humorous way (having followed his other blog for years): http://nbrightside.wordpress.com/

Christina said...

Thinking of both of you guys! It's weird how life works out sometimes isn't it? Take care....
Smooches!

Kira - oopsicraftmypants.com said...

Thinking of you. I hope everything goes as perfectly as possible! Stay strong and you are wonderful, Pam!