Monday, November 2, 2009

The Suspense is Killing Me

I love a good thriller. Not Michael Jackson-although that was a great video. I'm talking about a good old fashion suspense thriller. Give me an old suspenseful movie any day of the week. There is something about watching an old movie in the fall when it's raining and you have a fire going that really captures the moment, so to speak.



One movie that I just recently saw over the weekend is Gaslight. It stars Ingrid Bergman (she won an Oscar for her role) and it was nominated for the best picture. It did win a Golden Globe in best picture. The story is of a detective trying find out why a paranoid schizophrenic is trying to drive his wife mad. The movie is based on a famous London play. I highly recommend this movie. Ingrid Bergman is beyond belief amazing



Everyone knows that Alfred Hitchcock is the king of psychological thriller. His plot twist and camera angles set him above most directors. Dial M for Murder is on of his best. The story centers around a man who finds out that his wife had an affair a year ago and now he wants to murder her. He doesn't want to commit the murder himself so he hires someone to do it for him. This is where the plot twist-I don't want to give away too much but it is an excellent thriller with the beautiful Grace Kelly playing the lead.



The final movie is on my top 10 list. Night of the Hunter starring Robert Mitchum is a classic cat and mouse game with thrills and turns but done in such a subtle way that you don't realize you are being taken for the suspenseful ride of your life. Mitchum plays an escape convict trying to track down $10,000.00 that his cellmate hid. Robert's character marries the man's widow, weasels his way into their lives and then hunts for the cash. The story of Cain and Able that the preacher tells (Love and Hate on his hands) sets an eerie undertone for the movie . It is shot beautifully. Unfortunately it did not do well at the box office and was the amazingly talented director, Charles Laughton's last movie. It was only till after Laughton's death that the movie was recognized for the cinematic genius it was and still is.

So these movies will make you a little leery about your neighbor, significant other or in my case my pups (I never trust a shifty eyed dog), don't let that keep you from curling up under a cozy blanket, put another log on the fire and enjoy an good suspenseful thrill. I bet you can solve the case before that pesky detective can. Until next time!

8 comments:

Amanda Roper said...

I watched Gaslight this weekend as well. It was sooooo good!

beefranck said...

Ooooh, all good. I love Suspicion with Carey Grant and Joan Fontaine - mostly because it's an excellent movie, but also because he calls her monkeyface as a term of endearment. :)

Fawn and Flower said...

I watched Gaslight too! I also rented The Birds on the DVR two times (once is never enough).

Lisa Marie ReVoir Kramp said...

I don't know if I've seen Gaslight all the way through...I'll have to put it on my Netflix list!

My favorite thriller is 'Wait Until Dark' with the luminous Audrey Hepburn as a blind woman manipulated by drug smugglers, and Alan Arkin as one of the scariest pyscho killers ever. I think it has the best 'jump out of your seat' scene in cinema.

* said...

Love the old horror movies, they don't make them like that anymore.

Rachel said...

Oooh I've been on a pretty good old horror movie kick lately, I'll have to check these out!

Brenda said...

Night of the Hunter is an amazing movie...one of the best adaptations of a book ever, IMHO. Directed by Charles Laughton, how can it not be amazing? Good choices, all!

Becky said...

Hi KK! I spoke to you in PMs on the Craftster forum. Your blog is awesome and I now have it lodged in my toolbar. OMG Night of the Hunter is such an amazing film. Everyone should see it. It is so moving. Your movie likes are very similar to my boyfriend's...he introduced me to a lot of movies I wouldn't otherwise have known about.