Saturday, May 22, 2010

Sweet Saturday or The World's Easiest Cobbler

God bless my mother, she was the best cook ever. She could whip up a meal with just a few scraps laying around the house. Don't even get me started on her baking! Oh man! Every Christmas we would have a Hawaiian cobbler that make my mouth water just thinking about it. This is the easiest cobbler you will ever make and has such few ingredients that you probably have them in your cupboard right now.


Hawaiian Cobbler
1 box white cake mix
1 can cherry pie filling
1 can crushed pineapple
1/2 cup melted salted butter
1 cup coconut (optional)
1 cup pecans (optional)

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • In a 8x13 (roughly) glass dish, spoon the cherry pie filling in to cover the whole bottom of the dish.
  • Drain off the pineapple juice and add the pineapple on top of the cherry filling, swirl them together.
  • If you are adding coconut, sprinkle on top of the cherry pineapple filling
  • Spinkle the dry cake mix on top of the cherry/pineapple. DO NOT MIX THE CAKE! You should have 2 layers-the cherry pineapple pie filling and then the dry cake mix on top-this is the cobbler part.
  • Spread the melted butter over the top of the dry cake mix. Make sure that it covers the whole cake. This will provide a nice crust. The salted butter adds a bit of a  savory flavor.  If you want to add pecans, place them on top of the butter. 
  • Place in oven for roughly 20-25 minutes or until the crust is a nice golden brown
  • Take out and let sit for a few minutes. It is equally good warm or cold. 



This isn't the prettiest dessert but it is the yummiest! The salt from the butter along with the tart from the cherries and sweetness from the pineapple sends your taste buds into orbit! You can definitely use this for other fruits, especially ones that are in season. I would recommend having some sort of tartness to take the edge off the sweetness. Strawberry and Rubarb would be excellent!


Now, excuse me-I think I need another helping.

4 comments:

MareMare said...

Yum! We call this "dump cake" and just dump all the ingredients in, no mixing. Your name may possibly be more appetizing ;)

TroubleT said...

Cherry and pineapple!....YUM! :)

Unknown said...

LOL! I've heard it called that too but I decided to change the name. Hee hee! It sounds way more appetizing. In the 50's it was called a Hawaiian Wedding Cake, cause it was so exotic with pineapple and coconut. LOL!

kat smith said...

I love this and I have experimented by using apple pie filling or blueberry pie filling. With the apple I sprinkle a teaspoon of cinnamon in the cake mix and stir before I pour over the pie filling. Peach pie filling with ginger is also very good. This is one of my favorite go to recipes. I love you, and enjoy all your entries. Keep on blogging.