Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sweet Saturday


Have I ever told you I have a sweet tooth? Oh, I have? I love sweets so much, that yesterday I was in the grocery store and saw the most decadent dessert on the cover of a national family magazine. So, thinking to myself-"I could so make that!" I bought the magazine and went back for the ingredients. When I got home, OMP looked at me, the magazine and the ingredients and walked away slowly. I made a few changes to the original recipe cause I'm kind of lazy, but I'm sure my version is just as good.

Cheesecake Brownie Bars
Cheesecake
1/4 cup corn starch
1/2 cup sugar
3 packages (8 ounces each) 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
3 large eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a large bowl, whisk cornstarch and sugar until blended.
Add cream cheese and beat until smooth
Beat in eggs, sour cream and milk
Stir in vanilla and set aside

At this time, the recipe tells you how to make brownies from scratch-whatever! I had some in a box down in the pantry and I whipped those babies up. Make up the brownies according to the box - the cake like brownies, not the fudgy ones and  DO NOT BAKE YET!

Heat oven to 350 degrees, line a 13x9x2 baking pan with foil. Coat foil with nonstick cooking spray.
Spoon in brownie mix and then the the cheesecake over that.

Bake for 30 minutes-check to see if center is set, if not, check every 5 minutes. Trust me, you do not want this to turn brown or get a crust on it-that means you burnt it.

Cool on wire rack for 2 hours then transfer to refrigerator for another two hours

I made homemade whip cream by taking heavy whipping cream, 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Whipped it up and spooned it on the cheesecake brownie. Cut up some strawberries and spoon those on, drizzle with chocolate sauce. One thing I think I would do differently is I would make a nice strawberry sauce with confectioner sugar and strawberries and drizzle on.

My conclusion? Don't go baking this one if you've got to be down at the church or school bake sale in an hour. This thing is time consuming but it's worth the wait. See ya later you sweet things!

1 comment:

MareMare said...

Whoa Nellie that looks good! You should really put a warning on your blog, I already wanted some dessert and then I had to go and look at this? Wah! I might have some reduced fat ice cream in the freezer. yay.