Monday, October 10, 2011

BOO!

I love scary movies! I don't know what it is but horror movies ranging from silly to down right scary just get my blood pumping.

Ghost stories are the scariest movies to me. You can outsmart of outrun a monster or a killer but when you can't see what is messing with ya, all bets are off for your survival.


My first real scare was when Poltergeist came out. I remember seeing that movie as a preteen and being scared for weeks. The wonderful thing about this movie is that it still holds up well. Tell me that you are not scared of snow on the TV and I will call you a liar! At night, if the channel goes out and you get snow on your TV-you wet your pants. You can admit it and you can thank Poltergeist for that. I'm not even gonna start on the clown.


The innocents is absolutely brilliant. It will scare you,  but in a slow, "am I going crazy" kind of way. The opening credits alone will have you hiding under your blanket. Deborah Kerr plays a nanny who believes that the children and the house she is watching over is haunted. She thinks that it is her duty to take matters into her own hands and help the children.


I saw Ringu at a second run theater and was completely blown away. I became obsessed with Japanese horror and ghost stories and couldn't get enough of them. Apparently, I wasn't the only one bitten by the Japanese horror bug, many American studios jumped on the bandwagon and remade wonderful Japanese horror movies into weak, teen shockers. I'll admit, I'm a little bitter-but I'll save that for another day. Ringu tells of a video tape that if watched, will kill you. They could have just shown the video tape over and over to me and I would have been scared out of my wits! Creepy! The 2001 UK DVD release cover carries a disclaimer, stating that the distributor accepts no responsibility for "for any injuries or fatalities that may occur during or after the viewing of this videocassette. How is that for good marketing...or bad.


There are so many good ghost stories out there that I could go on and on, but I will save you from my words and just allow you to soak these three in. Make sure that you watch them with the lights on, just in case you feel a cold  hand on your shoulder.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Caaaaaroooolannnnn....Caaaaroooolannn...

couldn't help meself! Poltergeist..one of the best scary ghostie movies around..