Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I'm Just Giddy over Giddygirlie

When I first saw Giddy Girlie on Craftster.org, I knew we were kindred spirits. Then is happened- she posted her Venture Brother's set, I knew I had to interview her and find out more about this amazingly talented person. She is pretty rad!

Who is the real giddygirlie?

My real name is Mia and everyone pretty much just calls me Mia. Except Kate who, despite being a 'real life friend,' sometimes calls me "Giddy" and my husband is "Mr. Giddy."

You do so many different crafts, which is your favorite and why?

They are all my favorites, in different ways and for different reasons. I am terrible about picking just one of anything, so I always tend to be working on several things at once and switching between them when it suits my mood. I like the delicate control of the needle with embroidering small pieces of work, but sometimes it's nice to work with something a little more "loose" like the dot paintings, which have no pre-set pattern or design to them.

One constant thing in my work is that none of it takes very long to accomplish. I really like to be able to see tangible results, so long-term projects (like knitting a sweater) are too frustrating. Most of my work only takes a couple of hours, even if I spread it over a couple of days.


I see you do a lot of comic/pop culture pieces. What are your favorite comics, cartoons, shows?

I have a lot of fun making the pop culture types of pieces because it offers a challenge to me, to take an established icon and interpret it in my style, but also because it gives the products a lot of recognition and I love being at craft fairs and conventions and seeing people's faces light up when they see something that they know and love sitting on my table.

I live a very childish life, which lends itself very naturally to cartoons and silliness. My husband is a comic book artist, which is where I get the majority of my comic book input. I don't read many monthly books, but I really love the Fables series and Y The Last Man was brilliant. I also like some of the cheeky books, like the Haunted Mansion series and the works of Angus Oblong, and even the adaptations of Futurama and The Simpsons.

My all-time favorite TV shows would be Arrested Development and Spaced, and favorite cartoon, The Venture Brothers. Both of them have very intricate plot lines with brilliant foreshadowing and call-backs, so in addition to being extremely well-written, they reveal a new 'layer' each time you watch them. I love them!

Inspiring words for the masses?

It's probably not "inspirational," per se, but one of the things that I am trying to overcome is my shyness about talking to creators that I like. I've found myself, more and more lately, sending off an email or meeting someone at a convention or craft show just to say "I love what you do" or "I appreciate what you create" and it's been a very positive experience. (This also works, even if you can't afford their work!) I think it's always nice for anyone to hear that they've made a difference in someone's life - even if it's as simple as you made someone smile. One of the best compliments that I've ever gotten came from a 6 year old boy who liked what I'd made for him. That kind of thing sticks in your heart and helps you get through the 'blah' times, so share your appreciation freely! And if you ever come across someone who DOESN'T like your compliment, I'll take it instead! ;-)


What or who inspires you?

I'm inspired by everything, all the time. I pick up cues from sunny days and smiling dogs and use it to fuel my inner giddy girlie. There are also quite a few artists that have the ability to tickle my funny bone every time. A short list of the eleventy billion people who make art that I love: BeeFranck, Kate (Junebug Memories), Kevin Kidney & Jody Daily, MimiLove, MrXStitch, Roscata, Scott Campbell, and Shannon (Giggly Mama)


Do you have a website? Etsy?

I keep a personal blog over at http://giddygirlie.blogspot.com and a crafty one at http://giddycrafts.blogspot.com. I also sell my crafty geekery over on etsy at http://giddygirlie.etsy.com!


BONUS QUESTION!
If you HAD to make out with Dean or Hank which would you pick?

I think it would have to be Dean. He's the sensitive one, who will put on a play to entertain you and dress up in his finest for your date. Even though he won't be able to protect you should a supervillian come after you, he'd make you feel like the most special person in the world. Plus, he practices kissing his hand, so he'd be better prepared than Hank. ;-)

Oh! Such a tough decision! I'm not sure who I would pick! Dean is more sensitive but Hank has a hoagie stand-yes I am totally geeking out on The Venture Brothers! Thanks Mia for an awesome interview. I can't wait to see what you create next.



6 comments:

Mr X Stitch said...

Mia's awesome. :)

giddy girlie said...

Aw, thanks Mr X! And thanks to KittyKill for the interview! This was really fun! :)

beefranck said...

Mia makes awesome stuff. Great interview!

Giggly said...

I love my mia! She's the greatest! I got lucky enough to be related to her! Hee-hee.

Fantasteek interview!!

OMP said...

HHHHHaunted Mansion ghosts? SNIFF!

Those are beautiful! Venture Bros.? Genius!

mimilove forever said...

That's one lovely laydee right there! x;)