Monday, April 19, 2010

Ride Em' Cowboy!



Oh boy! I just got back from seeing the Pioneer Lady-have you seen her website or cookbook. Well, trust me-she is just as sweet and kind in person. We didn't get a chance to get our books signed cause we were number 344 and well, I was hungry, so to honor The Pioneer Lady, I thought I would tell you about my favorite cowboy movies.


It wasn't until recently that my  husband watched Tombstone. I kept telling him over and over again how amazing this movie was and he didn't believe me. Well, let me tell you-this is now one of his favorites. It  really is Val Kilmer at his finest (unless you count Real Genius and Top Secret). The movie tells the story of Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday and the gunfight at the O.K. Corral. The very very very best part of this movie-Sam Elliot. I do not need to say anymore, except Sam Elliott.
 

The Wild Bunch may be a little violent for most but Sam Peckinpah's epic about a group of aging outlaws looking for one last score is a force to be reckoned with.The gun fights are volatile, tortuous and body ridden but it is one of the best Western films out there. This movie is not for the faint of heart but the story is solid, the directing is beyond phenomenal and it was nominated for two Oscars. 


I'm not a huge John Wayne fan but when I was growing up my dad and I always watched McClintock on Saturday after movies. This film is a western version of The Taming of the Shrew. The mud scene is one of the best and to this day I can quote this movie at any time, any day.

There are a tons more cowboy movies out there and maybe one day I'll do a singing cowboy theme (hmmm- need to put that one in the file) but in the meantime, hop on that Shetland pony of yours and head on down to the hitching post for a few of these tasty morsels. Happy Trails ya'll!

2 comments:

Glenda said...

Val Kilmer was awesome in Tombstone!! "I'm your huckleberry" -- we quote that one a lot here :). (Also loved him in Real Genius.)

My hubby is a big John Wayne fan. Until I married Rodney, I think The Cowboys was really the only Duke movie I'd seen. I *love* McClintock -- Maureen O'Hara is a force to be reckoned with!!

Becky said...

I want to be Maureen O'Hara when I grow up! Her roles were amazing!

I likes the westerns too. AND my Daddy loves the John Wayne movies too. used to take my brother and me to the drive-in to see double features.

And I will let you have Sam Elliot if I can have Val Kilmer. [swoons]