Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tie One On Tuesday


The Kentucky Derby is just around the corner and what better way to celebrate the 137th tradition then with a few beverages. It is so much fun to throw on an over the top hat, plan a party and do a little betting on some horses.

The signature drink of the Kentucky Derby is, of course, a mint julep. Now, being from the south, I am suppose to love these drinks while sitting on the veranda of my mansion. The only problem with this is 1-I don't like mint juleps and 2-I don't have a mansion. That doesn't stop me from making up a batch for my guests.

Mint Julep
4 fresh mintsprigs
2 1/2 oz bourbon whiskey
1 tsp powdered sugar
2 tsp water

Muddle mint leaves, powdered sugar, and water in a collins glass (although, traditionally, it would be a metal/silver glass).
Fill the glass with crushed ice and add bourbon.
Top with more ice and garnish with a mint sprig. Serve with a straw.

I am told by Kentucky Derby purist that this is THE drink to serve at your party. I guess they aren't fond of mint juleps either. I am in love with this punch-it's so easy!

Woodford Sweet Tea
2 cups ice tea (unsweetened)
1 cup sugar
1 12 oz can frozen OJ
1 12 oz can frozen limeade
1 bottle of Woodford Reserve Sweet Bourbon (I'm sure any bourbon will do in a pinch)

7 cups water
Mix all ingredients and chill. 


When it is all said and done, and your horse has won, celebrate with Crown of Roses


Crown of Roses
1 oz. Crown Royal
1/2 oz. amaretto
1 oz. pineapple juice, 1/4
3 dashes Angostura bitters

Fill a cocktail shaker two-thirds full of ice and add all of the ingredients.
Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass and add  a cherry for garnish.


 Oh my goodness! The pageantry, the race and the amazing cocktails will definitely make your Derby party the hit of the season.

2 comments:

freaked out 'n small said...

Being from Frankfort, only a half hour away from the derby, we might have to whip up a batch of the sweet tea treat for our celebration!

Becky said...

We may have to launch an investigation in to the status of your Southern Belle Card!! Yew dohnt lahk Mint Jewlips!?

It's okay, I do.
But I don't really like Southern Sweet Tea.