Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Happy Birthday!



I have been receiving quite a few invites as of late to several different friends’ B-day bashes. Some are monumental (turning 40) and some not so much (turning 46). It also got me to thinking that I will be turning 29 again this June and it is a BIG 29 for me. It also got me to thinking about celebrating and what types of beverages are normally imbibed at a B-day celebration. Now – get me a bottle of mid-level imported Champagne and I am a happy girl. Others a simple six pack of Pabst and they are fine. Still there are others out there that require a bit more sophistication then that (and yes I just dissed myself). So with out further adieu– I give you, birthday cocktails to get down to your “suit” in:

First up, a Champagne Cocktail. Yah, I know we have done it before but please bear with me.

The Regatta – now that’s Rich people term for a party (a boat party but hey)

1/2 shot Galliano (or sub Chartreuse)
1/2 shot Triple Sec
1/4 shot Vodka
Champagne
Juice of half a Lemon

Mix all your ingredients together (except Champagne) into a fluted glass. Pour Champagne over the top and enjoy the candles on your cake.

Next up. A nice little punch for all you out there planning on a large contingent of people to help you celebrate. Thanks to our friends over at the drink guru, this one is know as –

Le Chambord
Please note – you will need a punch bowl for this little ditty. The recipe as described below serves approx. 20 people (or10 if they are heavy drinkers)!

1 bottle premium Vodka
1/2 a bottle of Chambord liqueur (or Crème de Cassis)
1/4 Gallon of Pineapple juice
1/4 Gallon of Sweet and Sour mix
ICE

Mix all ingredients into large Punch Bowl and add ice right before your guests arrive. Also float some fresh Pineapple slices on the top for added flavor and effect.

So you want your cake and drink it too huh? Well here you go Jethro:

The Birthday Cake Shot

1/2 shot of Frangelico (or other Hazelnut flavored Booze)
1/2 shot Vanilla Vodka
Lemon wedges

Take your lemon wedges, put them on a plate and sprinkle them with sugar. Mix the two ingredients into a shot glass. NOW – take the shot and then pick up a lemon wedge and suck on it – do not bite it!!! Once the sugar sweet is gone you can put the lemon down and do it again!

If that sounds to frat boy for you, there is always this:

The Birthday Cake Martini

1 oz. half & half
1 1/2 oz. Vanilla Vodka
1/2 oz. Almond liqueur
Lemon zest

Pour all your ingredients into a cocktail shaker full of ice. Shake until there is a nice layer of frost on the outside of the shaker. Strain into Martini glass and enjoy.

So there you go, something to look forward to on your special day to come. Remember this important safety tip: when blowing out the candles on the cake – Alcohol is FLAMMABLE!!  Drink safe but remember to have fun also.

Bottoms up till next time!








1 comment:

Becky said...

I think I have lost my brain Pam! I commented on this via the facebook but meant to do it here. Doh!

I want some Vanilla Vodka. sounds yummy! The last two drinks might be tasty.