Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tie One On Tuesday


UGH! Mama's got a cold. My throat feels like I gargled with sandpaper. Doesn't my body realize that I do not have time for this mess. I think I need to quarantine myself, watch some bad movies and nurse myself back to health with a cocktail or two. 

There is nothing tea and rum won't fix. Combine the two and you have perfection. Bran's Dram is a perfect combination of warmth, both from the rum and the hot tea, honey to sooth your throat and a little bit of lemon for taste. 

Bran's Dram (recipe courtesy of Bon Appetit.com)
1 bag of berry herbal tea 
1 1/2 ounce of white rum
1/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon of honey
Steep tea bag in a mug with 6 oz. hot water, 2–3 minutes; discard tea bag and stir in rum, lemon juice, and honey

When I was growing up, a Hot Toddy was a cure-all. Got a stitch in your back, make a Hot Toddy, stomach bothering ya-Hot Toddy....I think the real reason this drink is so fab for cold and other illnesses is that you have a cup or two and you are out. You will sleep the sickness away.

Hot Toddy
1 1/2 ounce whiskey
1 tablespoon honey
1 lemon wedge
1 cup hot water
Add whiskey and honey to the hot water. Squeeze in the lemon and sip away the sore throat. 

What do you do when the only thing you have in your house are the fixings for margaritas but you want something warm for your throat? Well, you make a warm margarita, of course!

Warm Margarita
1 ounce tequila 
1 ounce orange flavored liqueur
1 cup apple juice
cinnamon to taste
Warm the apple juice and pour into a mug. Add booze and cinnamon to taste. Relax and feel better!

Just thinking of these warm cozy drinks on my sore throat are making me feel better. I am going to take a nice hot bath, put on my jammies and crawl up on the dog pile. 


No comments: