Saturday, July 14, 2012

Salivating Saturday

Know what you need? A lemony cupcake with coconut buttercream frosting. Don't deny it, you know you need it. You know you want it. Look deep into its eyes...you must take a bite...don't make the cupcake cry.



While cruising Pinterest, I found a recipe that took a box cake and turned it into a cake that was bakery level. How could I resist. You can use any kind of cake mix, I decided on lemon.

The steps are super easy and I bet you have everything on hand to make it.

1 box of cake mix
Add one more egg than the box says (the lemon cake said 3 so I put in 4)
Use melted butter instead of oil and double the amount (so if it says 1/2 cup of oil, use a cup of melted butter)
Use milk instead of water
Mix well and bake according to the directions on the box.

So, I mixed everything together and go the fluffiest cake known to man.





I then baked the cupcakes according to the box, they were very fluffy but fell a little when I took them out. I let the cupcakes cool and decided I needed a bite, just to make sure they were okay. Shut the front door! These cupcakes were the lightest, fluffiest best tasting cupcakes ever. EVER! The taste was rich but not heavy. The only problem that I need to work on is the cake falling just a little.



For the frosting, I used a simple buttercream frosting and added coconut extract and just a smidge of rum. The cupcakes tasted like a yummy tiki drink!

So, the verdict of the bakery box cake? We really like it but I think I might do some more tweaking for the flattening of the cake and maybe experiment with ingredients and the amounts. Try this recipe, let me know what you think-what kind of variation did you use?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Shut the front door is right! These sound heavenly! Heavenly, I say! Now if only the internet had both taste & smell-o-vision. I'm making a cake tomorrow, I'm going to try this. Thanks Pam!

Becky said...

Looks fantastic! I've never had a cake nor cupcakes that didn't deflate/fall a little when outta the oven.