Saturday, April 21, 2012

Salivating Saturday

For some reason, I have a love for food that isn't pretty but is dang good. Chicken fried steak-ugly as sin but I can not resist it. Gooey cake-not the prettiest but it is delish! So, when I was cruising Pinterest and found this recipe, I knew it fell into the ugly food, yummy in my tummy category.

Lime Cilantro Chicken is easy to make, can be frozen for future use and did I mention that it is SOOOOOO good. The recipe I used was from the What's Cooking Chicago blog (her recipe was adapted from the Food Network). I did make one minor change but it was only because I didn't have the ingredient on hand.

Lime Cilantro Chicken 
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves (do not include stems)
2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sliced, toasted almonds
3 tablespoons chopped, fresh garlic
1 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup water
In your  blender, mix together the cilantro, olive oil, almonds, garlic, lime juice,Parmesan cheese, salt and water on low speed until mixed thoroughly

For the chicken
cooking spray
2-3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in bite sized pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup cilantro lime pesto
 Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder. In a skillet sprayed with cooking spray, saute chicken over medium high heat and cooked through.
Remove the chicken from the pan and put into a bowl. Toss cooked, seasoned chicken with the pesto.

We made tacos with them, using corn tortillas but I think this would be so good on a salad maybe with some blueberries or strawberries on top.

Now, for the freezing part. Just make all of this ahead of time and put into a freezer bag. You don't have to worry about the pesto because there isn't oil in it. It's either water, like I used, or chicken broth, like the original recipe.

There ya go!  The chicken may not be the prettiest, in fact, it kind of looks like a leprechaun's diaper exploded, but trust me-it is some of the best chicken you will ever have and against red and yellow peppers or a mixed green salad, it is beautiful!

4 comments:

LimeRiot said...

Looks like it would be great in tacos!!

Love the leprechaun image :)! HAA!

Jill said...

You had me at cilantro. I've got to try making this. Those tacos must have been awesome!

Zombie Queen said...

Yum! Sounds delish. I'll be giving this a shot for dinner tonight :) Thanks for sharing.

Nichola said...

Holy smokes! That looks soooo scrummy!