Wednesday, August 13, 2014

I Like Stuff: An Honest Review of Paderno Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer


Have you jumped on the zoodle bandwagon yet? I had a few friends posting recipes and I couldn't resist trying them for myself. In order to make zoodles, you need a veggie spiral slicer. After much research, talking with friends, they all suggested the Paderno Tri Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer. 

I ordered the Paderno veggie slicer through Amazon and the cost was a little more than I wanted to spend but since this was the Cadillac of slicers, I went for it. It was 35.96 and I got free shipping with my Amazon Prime account. It comes with three different blades: one for thin spaghetti like noodles, a thick noodle blade and one for ribbon like noodles. 

Pros:

  • It is hand operated so there is no need to store a cord or look for a place to plug in
  • The clean up is very easy. Everything is plastic or stainless steel and can be washed
  • It is very easy to use. Just pick the slicer you want, attach the veggie or fruit and start cranking the handle
  • It has suction cups on the bottom so the slicer will not move around while you are shredding your veggies


Cons:

  • Although it comes with three distinct blades, I haven't done a lot with it. You can make noodles and that's about it. I have made apple slices, and curly fries besides zoodles. The curly fries were a bit on the small side but they were still good. 
  • It does take up counter space. The design is a bit awkward and can take up some counter space
  • Several people have told me that it was a bit time consuming to use


Bottom Line:
While I was initially concerned about what I could make with this, I decided to search the web and Pinterest to find recipes. A lot of the recipes I found were for various take offs of spaghetti and slaw. There are complete websites and blogs devoted to this slicer and what you can make with it. So the limitations are up to how much research you want to put into it. Would I buy it again? Probably so. I really do love the freshness of the zoodles. I think I am just scratching the surface of what can be done. If I take more time, I will learn to love it more. 

4 comments:

Crafty Like Lindy said...

Saute those zoodles with some olive oil and lemon pepper! Or olive oil and garlic YUM!

Becky said...

Hmmmmmm, I am so old school appliance wise that I have never even heard of this doohickey. Love the honesty of your review.

Lisa said...

Oh, I've been looking at getting one of these! I've been pinning some yummy looking sauces, lots of pesto and sun dried tomato, I love that kind of thing. I wonder if you could do a pesto that didn't have garlic, I bet you could!

Unknown said...

yup, since i'm a fun loving person i have used the slicer for cutting vegetables like potato and carrot in different shapes for making different design salad. and i consider it as the best veggie spiral slicer. Thanks for the post.