Saturday, August 13, 2011

Salivating Saturday

It's been some time since I have posted any new recipes or treats so in order to make up for the absence, I'm posting not one, but TWO recipes. Oh yeah, they said it couldn't be done, but I did it and now I'm passing the flavor baton on to you.

I know I mention from time to time how much I love pinterest. I am always pinning the best recipes and I refuse to just let them sit there. This first dish is from Six Sister's Stuff. It's easy Hawaiian BBQ chicken. There was only one catch-I am not a fan of pineapple in my food-unless it's a cocktail or certain cakes. So, I tweaked the recipe a little bit and spiced it up.  Oh yeah, I renamed it, because it gives your belly a slap when you eat it!

Who's Your Mama Chicken
4-5 frozen chicken breast
1 jar of Soy Vey Island Teriayaki Sauce
1/2 to a whole jar of Stubb's honey BBQ sauce
1/2 to a whole jar of Stubb's original BBQ sauce (warning-this has kick to it)
Before turning on your crockpot, spray it with cooking spray so the sauce doesn't get all gummy and stick to the sides.
In a large bowl, combine all the sauces and mix together.
Throw frozen chicken in the crockpot and cover with the sauce.
Cook on high for 3 hours, or until chicken is done. If on low-cook for 4-6 hours
Take the cooked chicken from the crockpot and with two forks shred chicken
Put the shredded chicken back into the crockpot with the sauce, turn the crockpot off and let the chicken soak while the rice is being made ( I assume you all know how to make rice, right?).
Serve up the chicken over the rice and enjoy the goodness.


The left over chicken is great for burritos, BBQ sandwiches, tortas, nachos....OMP even made the suggestion of adding a little bit of Kahlua to sweeten the mix.

I knew I needed to make a dessert that would stand next to the awesome chicken I made. Well, I went back to pinterest and found the recipe. Once again, I tweaked the recipe a bit to make it my own. The original is from Sprinkle Bakes. I love coconut candy and when I saw how simple it was to make, I knew I had found my dessert for the night.


Coconut Ice
4 1/2 cups sweetened coconut
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 can condensed milk
1 tablespoon chocolate powder
Pink food coloring

Combine coconut and milk together, blend well with a fork.
Add one cup of sugar at a time and blend well.
Separate mixture into 3 bowl. The first bowl will be left white, the second bowl, add a few drops of pink dye and mix and the third bowl add the chocolate powder.
In a small baking pan, layer the three colors, spreading out the mixture.
Let it set up in the fridge for 2-3 hours, slice and store in a container. I put mind back in the fridge.

A couple things I would have changed again on this recipe. I would have shredded the coconut more to make it a bit more fine and I probably wouldn't have used as much chocolate powder, I would have started smaller and added more for taste. Also, don't leave it unwrapped in the fridge for too long-it will take on the taste of your fridge. You can also experiment with different flavorings for the three different colored layers.

I can not believe how awesome each of these recipes turned out. They will definitely be in heavy rotation at Casa de Pedersen!







No comments: