Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tie One On Tuesday



It's been a few years since I have made Sangria, so I pulled out my old recipes and found some that I haven't had a chance to share with you. Shame on me!


Traditionally Sangria would be made with red wine but I'm gonna lighten it up a little bit with white wine. I know, I know...white wine isn't exactly loved by everyone but c'mon-give it a chance. It's not like I'm pouring it out of a box.

White Wine Sangria
1/2 cup peach schnapps
1/2 cup cognac
1/4 cup white sugar
4 oranges, sliced into rounds
2 mangos, peeled and sliced
1 pint of strawberries
4 (750 milliliter) bottles dry white wine,chilled
1 liter ginger ale, chilled
In a pitcher, combine peach schnapps, cognac, sugar, sliced oranges, strawberries (can be whole or sliced) and sliced mangos. Chill for at least an hour.
Pour fruit mixture into a large punch bowl. Stir in white wine and ginger ale.

If you aren't into super sweet how about tart and spicy? Oh my! I think I just described half of my friends (you know who you are!) This recipe is from Allrecipes.com and looks pretty labor intensive but believe me, it's worth the work.

Cranberry Sangria
1 cup white sugar
4 cranberry-flavored tea bags
4 slices fresh lemon
6 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 cups water
2 bottles white wine
4 apples, cored and cut into chunks
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
2 ounces apple brandy
Place the sugar, tea bags, lemon slices, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and water into a saucepan, and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let mixture cool. Strain out and discard the spices, lemon, and tea bags
Pour the white wine into a large jar or covered container, and mix with the tea mixture. Stir in apples and cranberries; mix in the apple brandy. Chill in refrigerator 24 to 48 hours. Serve cold.

Let's say that you want something non-alcoholic for your younger and sober friends. Well, I have you covered there too. 

Non-alcoholic Sangria
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup orange juice
1/2 fresh lemon, sliced
1/2 fresh orange, sliced
1 sm. apple or peach, cut into wedges
4 cups club soda or seltzer water
4 cups grape juice
In large pitcher, combine orange juice, sugar, and grape juice. Add cut fruit and stir until sugar is dissolved. Refrigerate until cool and add seltzer water or club soda just before serving.

Okay my little cocktail kiddies-go mix up a pitcher of sangria and bring it  to mama-I'm laying by the pool and my glass is empty. Thanks, darlings!

2 comments:

Bex said...

Oh just last night I was thinking about Sangria! Thanks for posting an NA version :)

Becky said...

Hey RMB: I keep thinking about Sangria too! Love it so much. Love the look of this recipe too!